- Old papers
Paper Quilling is the craft of coiling strips of paper and glueing to make simple or intricate shapes and designs. Using these shapes, you can make very beautiful masterpieces. So, I used this technique to make recycled Christmas tree ornaments without spending any cent. Using old papers and the stuffs you can find at home, you can make some awesome paper quilled Christmas tree ornaments.
1. The very first step is to cut a piece of paper a few inches long depending on the size you want to do. I used 1/4 inch by 12 inches strips on this tutorial.
2. Take a stripe and start curling one end of strip using the stick. Continue until you turned everything up. try not to put much pressure to have uniform curls.
3. Once the paper curls, release it a little from the stick. You can let the resulting curl expand as much or as little as you wish to have the size that you want.
4. Apply a dab of glue at the end to hold it on shape.
Circle or coil is the basic shape of paper quilling technique. All of the other shapes first start off as a loose circle and then they are piched into their shape. You can make different shapes by pinching and pressing this with your fingers.
5. Achieve different shapes with very simple steps. To make a (1) Quilled Teardrop, hold the circle shape between your index finger and thumb and pinch one side of the circle to form a point. To make a (2) Quilled Marquise, hold the coil between your index fingers and thumbs. Pinch points at the opposite sides at the same time. To make a (3) Quilled Triangle, make a teardrop first then hold the teardrop between your index finger and thumb. With the other hand, press the rounded end inward to form three points.To make a (4) Quilled Square, you have to make a marquise first. Then turn it ninety degrees and pinch two more points on the opposite sides. Each side should be about the same size forming a square.
6. Using the shapes you just did, experiment shapes and arrange it according to what you want. Organize each piece into desired design. I made a Christmas tree using the quilled circles and square.
7. After deciding your desired design, carefully apply a dab of glue one each piece to hold the shape together. Take a few minutes until the glue dries.
8. Insert a a piece of string so you can hang it on your Christmas tree.
You're done. Hang it on your Christmas tree to have a a very beautiful eco-friendly ornament this Christmas. :)
Tips: These shaped coils can be also used to decorate you Christmas cards, scrapbooks, etc. You can also make good stand alone figures using these basic shapes of quilled papers. Experiment with your shapes to achieve different kinds of figures.
If you have good ideas for recycling and crafts and want to share it here, let me know by commenting below. You can also give me an ART CHALLENGE by telling me the materials to use and the artwork you want me to do. :)
"It's easy to create beautiful projects out of the things you see around your house. Just be creative." -Noks Sosa
Read more about me...
Flower in a bottle: how to make a personalized valentine's day gift
Achieve a decorative paper flower ball
From old CDs to a stylish upcycled necklace
Create innovative Christmas tree ornaments with your old magazines